On this site, Gen. Edward Braddock was buried on July 13, 1755. George Washington ordered that the general’s body be buried in the roadbed to conceal it from an enemy thought to be in pursuit. It would remain there until 1804 when workmen repairing the road discovered it. Braddock’s body was then placed in a more appropriate location on a rise above the Braddock Road. It remains there today under a granite monument, with the grounds owned and maintained by the National Park Service.